Tottenham 1-3 Wolves | Match report

Tottenham 1 (Kane 22) Wolves 3 (Boly 72, Jimenez 83, Costa 87)

Wolves put in a magnificent second half performance to come from behind to defeat Tottenham Hotspur as the club played at Wembley Stadium for the first time in 30 years.

Nuno Espirito Santo’s side were pegged back in the first half by a stunning Harry Kane strike, but a dominant second half performance by Wolves, and goals from Willy Boly, Raul Jimenez and Helder Costa made it a day that will live long in the memories of the travelling 3,000 supporters from the Black Country.

Following an evenly contested opening to the game, it was Son Heung-Min who had the first chance of the game for Spurs within the first 10 minutes. Christian Eriksen played a pass out to Son, who aimed a shot towards the Wolves foal from 25 yards out, but he missed just wide of the post.

Spurs had another chance to take the lead just five minutes later when Raul Jimenez gave away a free-kick after taking down Kane just outside the Wolves box. Kieran Trippier stepped up and his effort beat the wall but not Wolves keeper Rui Patricio who made a comfortable save to stop the ball from crossing the line.

Wolves had their first real chance just after the quarter hour mark when a free kick, whipping in from the right by Ivan Cavaleiro, found the head of Ryan Bennett, but the defender couldn’t keep his effort from going over the bar.

Patricio came to Wolves’ rescue soon after when he managed to get his fingertips on a curling Eriksen effort to push the fizzing shot over his crossbar – when it seemed destined for the top corner.

Spurs took the lead in the 22nd minute when Kane picked up the ball mid-way in the Wolves half. After beating Willy Boly down the Tottenham right, the England striker cut inside and unleashed a 25-yard curling shot beyond Patricio and into the far corner of the net.

Following a lengthy quite patch in the time after the goal went in – and a wild attempt by Ruben Neves to try and score form 30-yards out just to mis-hit his shot – Adama Traore tried to get Wolves going with a tricky run in the heart of the Spurs defence. After getting away from Erkisen, the midfielder trips Traore up, picking up a yellow card from referee Stuart Attwell in the process.

Half-time: Tottenham 1 Wolves 0

Wolves came out of the blocks firing in the second half as they looked for an equaliser. Traore was showing his speed as he skipped past a couple of challenges before looking to release Cavaleiro in behind. However, Hugo Lloris was off his line quickly to intercept the pass.

The visitors were continuing to frustrate Spurs as they were trying to fight their way back into the match. Just before the hour mark, Cavaleiro found Jimenez with a deep cross towards the back post, the striker took a touch before looking for goal, but his shot was comfortable for Lloris.

Wolves were getting a foothold in the game as Jimenez did well to hold the ball up and find Neves. The midfielder then found the run of Cavaleiro in behind, but Davinson Sanchez recovered to break up the attack.

The away side kept pushing and had a good opportunity to bring themselves level as Cavaleiro was found in space on the left. He shifted the ball onto his left foot 20-yards from goal but fired a wild shot high and wide of the target.

Wolves were finally rewarded for their second half pressure with 20 minutes of the match remining as Boly rose highest from substitute Joao Moutinho’s corner to aim a header across Lloris and into the back of the net.

It was one-way traffic in the second half as Wolves dominated Spurs all over the pitch. And on 83 minutes the visitors were ahead for the first time. Cavaleiro controlled the ball beautifully on his chest before laying a pass of to Jimenez in the middle of the box, The Wolves striker was surrounded by Spurs defenders, but he was able to find the bottom corner of the net with a prod of his toe.

Wolves added a third just four minutes later as from a Tottenham attack, the visitors were quick to break. Doherty released Helder Costa in behind on the Wolves’ right, and racing into the box one-on-one with Lloris, Costa made no mistake with his finish to double his team’s advantage.

As Tottenham pushed for a second, it was Wolves who looked more likely to add to their tally, as Doherty was released down the right, before picking out Morgan Gibbs-White in the middle of the box. The substitute headed goalwards but his effort was saved by Lloris.

The final whistle blew following five minutes of added time, sending the visiting Wolves supporters wild, and their team up to seventh in the Premier League table.

Full-time: Tottenham 1 Wolves 3

Tottenham: Lloris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Eriksen, Dele (Lucas 68), Son, Kane.

Unused subs: Gazzaniga, Rose, Walker-Peters, Foyth, Nkoudou, Skipp.

Wolves: Patricio, Doherty, Bennett, Coady, Boly, Jonny, Dendoncker (Moutinho 68), Neves, Cavaleiro (Gibbs-White 85), Traore (Costa 59), Jimenez.

Unused subs: Ruddy, Vinagre, Saiss, Bonatini.

Referee: Stuart Attwell

Attendance: 46,356