Wolves sealed the Championship title in a fitting manner, producing the impressive football which has served Nuno Espirito Santo’s men so well this season to defeat Bolton Wanderers 4-0.

A point was enough for the men in gold but they were determined to win it in style and two goals in each half sparked scenes to celebration in the packed-out Macron Stadium away end.

Barry Douglas reacted quickest to a goalkeeping parry for 1-0 and Benik Afobe’s brilliantly taken goal had the visitors cruising at the break.

It got better in the second-half after Diogo Jota inevitably got in on the act with a cute finish and Conor Coady got off the mark for the season, converting a penalty to put a fitting finish to the scoring.

Two games still remain for Wolves, who will not only be playing Premier League football next season, but doing it as Champions of the English Football League.

With Wolves knowing a point would seal their fate, they began on the front foot in the Bolton sunshine and Helder Costa had an effort deflected just wide of Ben Alnwick’s post after a matter of seconds.

Three minutes later, Willy Boly and Jota linked up well to carve a sight of goal for Afobe, but the striker snatched at his shot which rolled wide.

However, Bolton had their own battle to compete for and after David Wheater had failed to connect with Filipe Morais’ free-kick, the former Bradford City man lashed his own effort just past the angle of post and bar.

As always with Douglas on the pitch, Wolves were a threat from set pieces themselves and his first corner was headed over by Afobe on his return to the starting line-up.

That was simply a warning sign for Bolton however and the same two players were instrumental in Wolves taking the lead. Afobe’s low shot was only parried into Douglas’ path by Alnwick, and the Scot reacted well to drive the rebound home, underneath the goalkeeper.

Bolton could have quickly levelled when Morais’ dangerous free-kick evaded everyone inside the Wolves box, before Jota forced a strong save out of Alnwick from Wolves’ own set piece.

It was the visitors playing the impressive football and once Costa stretched his legs down the right, the winger’s options diminished with the angle, but he still got a shot away, with Alnwick equal to it.

As the clock crept towards 45, Costa’s speculative effort was easily gathered by Alnwick, but there was still time for the visitors to double the lead with a goal to sum up their season.

It was typically well crafted by Coady, who floated a brilliant ball over the top for the run of Afobe, whose touch was exemplary to help him round Alnwick, allowing the striker to fire home on the stroke of half-time.

Half-Time: Bolton 0 Wolves 2

That healthy half-time lead meant Wolves could enjoy themselves after the break and they did it in style, quickly making it three. Patient build-up play led to Costa taking the impetus and feeding Jota, who produced a brilliant clip over the onrushing Alnwick.

Looking a threat every time they had the ball, Jota then won a free-kick in Ruben Neves territory. The midfielder stepped up and fired narrowly over Alnwick’s crossbar.

Soon after the fourth goal did arrive. Afobe’s shot was blocked on the line before the striker was fouled inside the box. Up stepped Coady, the only outfield player on the pitch not to score this season, and he produced the goods, sending Alnwick the wrong way from 12 yards.

It was a fitting way to round off the scoring at the Macron Stadium, with Morgan Gibbs-White, Leo Bonatini and Alfred N’Diaye all given run-outs off the bench in the closing stages.

Them, like everyone else of a Wolves contingent, could then savour the closing stages of the contest, 4-0 up and worthy winners of the Championship for 2017/18.

Full-Time: Bolton 0 Wolves 4

Bolton: Alnwick, Beevers, Le Fondre (Clough 79'), Ameobi, Buckley (Noone 65'), Flanagan, Robinson, Pratley © (Vela 58'), Morais, Henry, Wheater.

Unused Subs: Howard, Taylor, Wilbraham, Burke.

Booked: Wheater 56’

Wolves: Ruddy, Doherty, Douglas, Batth ©, Neves, Boly, Coady, Costa, Jota (Gibbs-White 68'), Afobe (Bonatini 68'), Saiss (N’Diaye 81').

Unused Subs: Norris, Bennett, Miranda, Hause.

Booked: Batth 46'

Referee: Keith Stroud

Attendance: 19,092 (Away: 4,796)