We paid the penalty

Skipper says big decision changed the game

Danny Batth believes it was the decision to award Norwich a penalty that cost his side the chance of a win in Saturday’s trip to Carrow Road.


Norwich took the lead in the 13th minute - Steven Naismith was first to react to a long-range shot from Jonny Howson which rebounded off the crossbar.


Wolves got themselves back into the game early in the second half as Matt Doherty was fouled in the Norwich penalty area - Helder Costa converted the resulting penalty.


It was in the 72nd minute where there controversy came - Wes Hoolahan went down I a challenge with Carl Ikeme and the referee pointed to the spot.


Ikeme was sent off during the aftermath of the incident for his angry reaction to Hoolahan, Robbie Brady struck the penalty past stand-in keeper Matt Doherty, and Howson added a third in added time.


Batth felt that before the Norwich penalty, Wolves has got themselves in control of the game.


“We feel hard done to, losing 3-1,” the Wolves skipper says.


“The circumstances have done us over really - we felt confident from our second half performance up until the big turning point.


“At that stage, there was only one team that was going to win the game.


“Until that decision, we really felt that we had control of the game, we felt confident that we would come away with all three points.


“The penalty decision is tough to take - it’s changed the game.


“Our fans have clapped us off at the end and they know that we've given 110% - on another day, we’d be three points better off.


“I thought that during the first 20 minutes, Norwich caused us quite a few problems. they got into good areas of the pitch and perhaps we weren't at the high level that we've been starting at.


“We always felt that if we got that goal back, we’d go on to win the game.


“Up until the penalty, we looked like scoring, we looked potent, we asked some questions and I think that Norwich have got off the hook a little bit today.”


The Wolves captain praised the effort of his team-mates as they still pushed for on despite being down to 10 men.


“We were fighting tooth and nail for everything,” Batth continued.


“When you've got ‘Doc’ (Matt Doherty) in goal and you've got players in all kinds of positions, we were just holding out really.


“At the same time, we felt if we could get (Nouha) Dicko through, he'd get a chance and he could score.


“I thought we were in control until the decision and decisions change games.


“We’ve been starting games really well, it’s taken a special effort from their midfielder to create a chance.


“There was plenty of blocks from myself and ‘Stears' (Richard Stearman) in the box.


“Pricey (Jack Price) and ‘Eddo’ (Dave Edwards), I think they covered every blade of grass, there was no lack of effort and no lack of spirit.


“Things happen in football but we take it on the chin and we roll on to next Saturday.”