Match Report Wolves v Barnsley

A Miserable Night

Wolves 0


Barnsley 4 (Hourihane 73, Hammill 83, Janko 85, Bradshaw 90+2)


Four goals in the last 20 minutes gave high flying Barnsley a convincing victory over disappointing Wolves on a miserable night at Molineux for the home supporters.


Walter Zenga rang the changes once again with five from the team that faced Burton at the weekend dropping out. In came Dominic Iorfa, Jack Price, Jon Dado Bodvarsson, Joe Wallace and Joe Mason. Those that made way were Helder Costa, Joao Teixeira, Paul Gladon, Ivan Cavaleiro and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson.


Wolves kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and they went close twice in the opening two minutes. After Bodvarsson had been fouled on the edge of the Barnsley box, Price curled in a free-kick that keeper Adam Davies had to tip over.


Price took the corner conceded and when Richard Stearman’s header was blocked on the line the ball fell to Mason but his shot couldn’t find a way through the packed goalmouth and the ball bounced to safety.


Barnsley’s first attempt came from Ryan Kent who was wide with a low shot from 20-yards.


A mistake by Davies almost presented Wolves with a tenth minute lead when his clearance went straight to Wallace who ran into the box before firing narrowly wide. Barnsley responded with a drive from Adam Armstrong that went straight into the arms of Carl Ikeme.


Sam Winnall was presented with a great chance when Armstrong’s low cross ran to him but the former Molineux Academy graduate completely missed his kick allowing a defender to clear.


Stearman was penalised for a challenge on Winnall to the right of the home area. Armstrong rolled the ball into the path of Aidy White whose shot was both high and wide.


A bouncing header from Mason went over the bar after Iorfa had supplied the cross before a mistimed pass from Prince Oniangue gave Armstrong a chance from the edge of the area with the ball going inches wide.


Shortly before the break Josh Scowen was booked for an untidy challenge on Conor Coady and in stoppage time Oniangue lifted an effort over the bar.


Half-Time: Wolves 0 Barnsley 0


Costa was an interval replacement for Price. The first chance of the half fell to Winnall but his header from Adam Hammill’s cross lacked power and direction.


Davies just managed to turn away an effort for Wallace that was curling towards the far corner of the net and when Barnsley went forward Ikeme was forced into a diving save to keep out Scowen’s low drive.


A cross from Wallace only needed a touch as it travelled through the Barnsley six-yard box and a couple of minutes later the midfielder was replaced by Teixeira.


In the 66th minute Teixeira’s crossfield pass picked out Bodvarsson who lifted his shot over the advancing Davies but also just over the bar.


Barnsley took the lead in the 73rd minute. Marley Watkin’s shot was blocked but Conor Hourihane ran in onto the rebound and smashed the ball past Ikeme.


Hammill was booked for a foul on Costa but the one time Wanderers winger was all smiles after he had dribbled his way deep into the Wolves box before firing Barnsley’s second after 83 minutes.


In the 85th minute Barnsley substitute Saidy Janko added a third with a ferocious shot and in stoppage time Tom Bradshaw completed the rout converting from 12-yards


Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Iorfa (Cavaleiro 75), Coady, Stearman, Batth (capt), Oniangue, Price (Costa 45), Bodvarsson, Mason, Wallace (Teixeira 64).


Unused subs: Lonergan, Saville, Gladon, Hause. 


Barnsley: Davies, Yiadom, Roberts, MacDonald, White, Hammill, Scowen, Hourihane (capt), Kent (Janko 82), Winnall (Bradshaw 69), Armstrong (Watkins 69).


Unused subs: Townsend, Morsy, Kpekawa, Jackson.


Bookings: Scowen (43 – foul), Yiadom (67 – foul), Hammill (78 – foul), Watkins (84 – foul).


Referee: A. Madley.


Attendance: 18,668.