Match Report Huddersfield Town v Wolves

No Reward

Huddersfield Town 1 (van La Parra 6)


Wolves 0


Wolves lost out for the first time this season but they were fully deserving of some reward from their trip to Huddersfield.


After conceding early on, the Molineux men had a Joe Mason equaliser ruled out by a debatable offside flag, struck a post and were denied by a world class save from home keeper Danny Ward.


Walter Zenga once again rang the changes with only five players retaining their places from the team that had beaten Cambridge United in the midweek League Cup tie.


As rain poured down Town kicked-off attacking the end of the John Smith’s Stadium that housed almost 2,000 travelling supporters.


Huddersfield were ahead after just six minutes and it was former Molineux winger Rajiv van La Parra who did the damage slamming home the rebound after Nahki Wells’ shot had struck the foot of the post.


Wolves’s first attempt at goal came from George Saville who was both high and wide with a long distance effort.


Saville was a lot closer in the 18th minute with a shot on the turn from inside the ‘D’ after Jed Wallace had pushed the ball through to him.


Danny Batth needed his wits about him to clear Elias Kachunga’s short pass into the box as Chris Shindler closed in and then a low centre from Tommy Smith flew dangerously through Carl Ikeme’s goalmouth and out to the far side.


Jonathan Hogg went into the book for pulling back Wallace in midfield before Wells tried to squeeze a shot in at the near post with Ikeme nicely positioned to save.


Mason tried his luck from 20-yards only for his drive to have the sting taken out of it allowing home keeper Ward a comfortable save.


In the 44th minute a Conor Coady cross was nodded down by Wallace but a defender cleared from inside the six-yard box and then, when Mason did find the net from close in, he was ruled offside – a questionable decision..


Half-Time: Town 1 Wolves 0


Joao Teixeira replaced Wallace at the start of the new half which was three minutes old when a placed shot from Dave Edwards looked a likely equaliser until the ball struck a defender and went just the wrong side of the post.


Saville was shown the yellow card for tugging at van La Parra’s shirt on the edge of the Wolves box, and then Matt Doherty jinked his way into the left of the Town area and drew a fine save from Ward with a fierce cross-shot.


On the hour mark Wolves were inches away from levelling. Coady raced down the right flank before squaring the ball to Teixeira who fired against the the post from 18-yards.


Helder Costa was sent on for Saville and he was soon in the thick of things as he was fouled by Chris Lowe. Costa’s free-kick was headed behind for the first of successive corners and from the second Ward pulled off an amazing save in pushing out Jon Dadi Bodvarsson’s bullet header.


In the 70th minute a shot from Costa was blocked and as Mason chased after the loose ball he went down under a challenge but penalty appeals were ignored.


Prince Oniangue replaced Edwards for the closing stages and, after Price had been booked for a challenge on Kachunga, the recent acquisition was inches away from giving Wanderers a point with a low drive.


Town: Ward, Smith, Hudson (capt), Hogg, Kachunga, Mooy, Lowe, Van La Parra Scannell 88), Wells (Bunn 61), Schindler, Palmer (Payne 57).


Unused subs: Coleman, Whitehead, Cranie, Hefele.


Bookings: Hogg (34 – shirt pulling), Lowe (66 – foul).


Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Coady, Edwards (Oniangue, Batth, Iorfa, Saville (Costa 61), Price, Bodvarsson, Mason, Wallace (Teixeira 45).


Unused subs: Lonergan, Henry, Borthwick-Jackson, Hause.


Bookings: Saville (50 – shirt pulling), Price (74 – foul).


Referee: S. Martin.


Attendance: 19,972.


Stoke City Under 18s 4 Wolves 1 (Phillips)