Match Report Rotherham United v Wolves

Ten Men Wolves Hit Back

Rotherham United 2 (Ward 9, Vaulks 20)


Wolves 2 (Saville 39, Bodvarsson 65)


After conceding two early goals and finding themselves on the wrong end of a Rotherham bombardment, Wolves hit back before the break through George Saville.


Then, despite losing Dominic Iorfa who was red carded for a professional foul, the Molineux men took a deserved point thanks to a cracking goal from debut man Jon Dadi Bodvarsson.


The Icelandic striker, in making his debut for Wolves, became the 1,000th man to have played in a League game for the club.


Other summer signings on the bench were Andy Lonergan, Helder Costa and Joao Teixeira.


Rotherham kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that held a sell-out 2,600 travelling support.


Both sides won corners in the opening three minutes. For Wolves, when James Henry’s kick was headed out to Dave Edwards, the midfielder hit a first-time effort well wide.


United went on to win two more corners in quick succession and from the second of them, in the ninth minute, Danny Ward powered a header past Carl Ikeme from the flag-kick which was taken by former Molineux Academy graduate, Anthony Forde.


The Millers kept up the pressure on the Wolves goal and the lead was doubled in the 20th minute as Will Vaulks ran onto a half clearance and hit an unstoppable drive into the corner of the net from 25-yards.


Lee Camp in the home goal was finally tested in the 27th minute when he made a fine save to turn away a snapshot from Jed Wallace.


Saville’s over hit cross-field pass, intended for Henry, terminated what looked like a promising attack but he was soon back clearing from inside his own area as Rotherham threatened once more.


And it was Saville who cut the deficit in the 39th minute. The home defence seemed to hesitate as Matt Doherty threaded a through ball towards the Rotherham box. Saville was in like a flash skipping past Camp and finding the net from the tightest of angles.


Henry hit a fierce angled shot from the corner of the box that bounced off a defender to Lee Evans and his cross flew across the face of goal and out just beyond the far post.


After a slow start, Wolves were, by now, forcing their hosts back but the half-time whistle thwarted any hopes of any further reward albeit temporarily.


Half-Time: Millers 2 Wolves 1


Joe Mason replaced Wallace at the break as Wolves went from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2. And the former Cardiff man almost marked his debut within seconds as Henry robbed Richard Wood on the by-line only for his intended pass to Mason to be cut out and cleared by Kirk Broadfoot.


The visitors task became massively tougher in the 52nd minute when Iorfa was shown the red card for pulling back Jon Taylor who would otherwise have been away. Taylor took the resultant free-kick but was well off target.


Ward just failed to reach a low cross from the right and then Saville was yellow carded for a late challenge on Lee Frecklington. At the same time, Teixeira replaced Henry in the Wolves team.


Doherty hit a shot on the run straight at Camp but seconds later, in the 65th minute, Wolves were level. Teixeira pushed the ball through to Bodvarsson and in front of the delighted fans behind the goal he smashed an angled shot across Camp and into the far side of the goal.


Wolves were now playing with an air of confidence and urged on by those fans there was a moment of danger for the home team when Danny Batth nodded down a Teixeira corner only for a defender to boot clear.


Two Rotherham men were booked in as many minutes – Stephen Kelly and Vaulks for fouls on Bodvarsson and Teixeira respectively.


In the 87th minute, Bodvarsson broke away on the left and squared the ball to Mason who, at full stretch, could only shoot into the arms of Camp before Costa became a late replacement for Bodvarsson.


Deep into stoppage Ikeme made a routine stop from a long-range effort from Ward, but in the end Wolves were well worth the point they took from the New York Stadium.


Millers: Camp, Kelly (Thorpe 71), Mattock, Vaulks, Broadfoot, Wood, Forde, Frecklington (capt) (Smallwood 67), Ward, Forster-Caskey (Allan 76), Taylor.


Unused subs: Price, Halford, Wilson, Yates.


Bookings: Kelly (81 – foul), Vaulks (82 – foul).


Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Iorfa, Edwards, Batth (capt), Hause, Henry (Teixeira 63), Saville, Bodvarsson (Costa 88), Evans, Wallace (Mason 45).


Unused subs: Lonergan, Coady, Price, Deslandes.


Bookings: Saville (63 – foul).


Sending-Off: Iorfa (54 – professional foul).


Referee: S. Duncan.


Attendance: 11,291 (2,567 away supporters).