Match Report MK Dons v Wolves

Jack's The Lad

MK Dons 1 (Hause-og 6)


Wolves 2 (Saville 62, Price 66)


Wolves hit back against MK Dons to take the points after falling behind to an early own-goal. George Saville and Jack Price were the men that dented the Dons’ survival hopes with two goals in a four minute spell midway through the second half.


James Henry returned to the starting line-up as did Joe Mason with Bjorn Sigurdarson and Jeremy Helan dropping out - the latter taking a place on the bench.


Wolves kicked-off defending the end of the ground that held around 1,600 of their supporters in the upper tier of the stand.


But it was the home fans that were cheering in the sixth minute as the Dons took the lead in their first attack of note. Carl Baker sent over a low cross from the right and with Nicky Maynard breathing down his neck, Kortney Hause diverted the ball into his own net.


Henry figured twice as Wanderers looked for a quick response. He fired over from an acute angle after Michael Zyro’s centre was deflected into his path and then he won a corner he took himself that was headed over by Danny Batth.


The visiting defence were then forced back by a heavy spell of Dons pressure which included four corners in rapid succession.


In the 28th minute luck was against Wolves as Zyro cut into the box and sidestepped a defender before unleashing a powerful shot that was blocked by Cody Cropper. The ball was pinging around just a couple of yards from the goal but it didn’t fall at the feet of a Wolves man and the keeper was able to claim.


Mason was too high with a shot on the run and, at the other end, Antony Kay set himself up for a volley but was wide from 20-yards.


Saville cleared the ball after Baker’s corner had dropped dangerously in the heart of the area as the half neared its conclusion.


A minute before the break Wolves lost the services of Zyro who was stretchered off after being felled by a horrible tackle by Kay. The Pole was in full flight on the wing when he was sent flying through the air.


The Wolves supporters let the referee know in no uncertain terms what they thought of his decision to only book the MK man.


Half-Time: MK Dons 1 Wolves 0


Adam Le Fondre was the replacement for Zyro. And seconds after the resumption Dominic Iorfa threw himself into the path of a fierce effort from Kay.


A low corner from Conor Coady was helped on by Le Fondre and Batth ran in but was wide with his shot.


Then Coady went on a foraging run through the heart of the home midfield before playing Le Fondre through on the overlap. The on loan striker drove in a low cross that Cropper just managed to cut out in front of the predatory Mason.


Wolves had begun to turn up the heat and they deservedly pulled level in the 62nd minute. Henry floated in a fine cross and Saville climbed above his marker to power a great header beyond Cropper.


Things got even better just four minutes later as Price, who was enjoying an excellent game, fired Wolves into the lead.


A heavy attack on the Wolves goal broke down and it was Henry again that supplied a driven cross that was tucked away at the far post by the jubilant Price. The ball appeared to come off Le Fonfre on its way through.


The Dons shuffled their pack making three changes either side of Price’s strike but Carl Ikeme was in no mood for slip ups on the odd occasion that the home attack threatened his goal.


Matt Doherty was booked for a clipping Josh Murphy, one of the home substitutes, and a minute later another of the subs, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas also saw yellow ironically for fouling Doherty.


MK Dons: Cropper, Lewington (capt), Kay, Baker (Murphy 65), Potter, Carruthers, Walsh, Powell (Emmanuel-Thomas 78), Baldock, Maynard (Revell 74), Forster-Caskey.


Unused subs: Burns, Bowditch, Williams, Long.


Bookings: Kay (44 – foul), Emmanuel-Thomas (86 – foul).


Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Iorfa, Price, Batth (capt), Hause, Henry, Coady, Zyro (Le Fondre 45), Saville, Mason (Edwards 90+2).


Unused subs: Martinez, Helan, Byrne, Deslandes, Hunte.


Booking: Doherty (85 – foul).


Referee: M. Heywood.


Attendance: 12,131 (1,653 away supporters).