Wolves 2-0 Bournemouth | Match report

Raul Jimenez and Ivan Cavaleiro teamed up to seal a third consecutive victory for Wolves – the first time in Premier League history the club has achieved the feat.

Wolves faced Bournemouth in a match which was greatly affected by the wintry conditions inside Molineux, but it was Nuno Espirito Santo’s side who were able to secure all three points in a hard-fought battle, which sent the home side into seventh place in the Premier League.

Despite Wolves starting the first half on the attack, it was the visitors who had the first chance of the game when Josh King escaped the offside trap and found himself one-on-one with Rui Patricio. However, the Wolves keeper came out quick to close the angle and force King’s shot over the bar.

Bournemouth continued to keep up the pressure on Wolves, but the home side were the ones who struck the first blow. From a Bournemouth throw, Charlie Daniels gave the ball straight to Diogo Jota who made a powerful drive past Nathan Ake into the box.

From the left edge of the area Jota fired a cross/shot across the box, past all the Bournemouth defenders, and straight to the feet of an onrushing Jimenez who had the easiest of tap-ins at the far post.

The visitors were trying their best to get back into the game and had a chance just after 20 minutes when the ball found its way to Junior Stanislas about 25 yards out from goal. With the ball bouncing, the Bournemouth forward took aim on the turn, but could only fire a shot well over the crossbar.

Mid-way through the first half, Wolves had an opportunity to extend their lead, as Jimenez picked up the ball on the edge of the box. With his first attempt, the Mexican looked for a through pass to Gibbs-White, but as the ball came back to his feet, he tried an audacious shot which sailed over the bar.

As the first half came to a close, it was Wolves who looked the more threatening of the two sides. Jimenez played an exquisite pass with the outside of his boot through to Jota, who controlled it with his first touch.

Running through on goal, the young Portuguese forward went down under the challenge of Steve Cook, but referee Steve Hooper waved away loud appeals for a free kick from the Molineux crowd – despite Jota having to be taken off with an injury.

Half-time: Wolves 1 Bournemouth 0

Wolves continued to knock at the door of the Bournemouth goal, as conditions worsened following the half-time break. Gibbs-White was played onside as a delightful pass was floated over the visitor’s backline before the ball found its way to Ruben Neves whose shot from the edge of the box was deflected behind for a corner.

Ten minutes into the second half and Helder Costa – brought on at half-time for the injured Jota – spurned a great opportunity for Wolves. Gibbs-White arrowed a darting pass through to Costa on the right who had escaped the offside trap.

Running in on goal, the forward was one-on-one with Asmir Begovic, and with Jimenez to his left, Costa instead went for shot, firing a wild effort wide of the post.

Minutes later Bournemouth came close to equalising when Stanislas rattled a free kick off Patricio’s crossbar, and although Wolves cleared their lines, the ball found its way to Jefferson Lerma who took aim from 25 yards out, but his attempt went high and wide.

Both sides were creating chances as the game wore to a close, with Matt Doherty linking well with Jimenez down Wolves’ right.

But as the conditions got worse, Nuno brought on Cavaleiro for goalscorer Jimenez, and it was the Portuguese forward who sealed all three points for Wolves in added time.

Costa picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch before releasing Cavaleiro beyond the Bournemouth defence, who slotted his finish calmly past Begovic - and in the process recording Wolves' first win over Bournemouth since 30th December 1989.

Full-time: Wolves 2 Bournemouth 0

Wolves: Patricio, Doherty, Bennett, Coady, Boly, Jonny, Moutinho, Neves, Jota (Costa 46), Gibbs-White (Saiss 74), Jimenez (Cavaleiro 88).

Unused subs: Ruddy, Vinagre, Dendoncker, Traore.

Bournemouth: Begovic, Ibe (Wilson 58), Ake, Cook, Mings (Rico 35), Daniels, Surman, Lerma, Fraser, King, Stanislas (Mousset 80).

Unused subs: Boruc, Pugh, Defoe, Brooks.

Referee: Simon Hooper

Attendance: 30,997