FA Cup Exit For Wolves

On a cold, wet night in South Wales, Wolves crashed out of the Emirates FA Cup at the hands of Premier League side Swansea City.

Swansea 2

Wolves 1


In a first half which Swansea were the better side, the hosts took the lead through Jordan Ayew as the Swans' forward jinked past four Wolves defenders before firing beyond Will Norris.


In treacherous conditions, Wolves came back into the game in the second half and when substitute Diogo Jota equalised in the 66th minute, it looked to be Wolves that were in the ascendancy.


But just minutes later, Wilfried Bony capitalised on a lapse in concentration in the Wolves defensive line, to score what was to be the decisive goal on the night and send the hosts through to the fourth round of the FA Cup.


It was the home side who started the brighter and Wolves gifted them an early chance. Kortney Hause slipped midway inside his own half with Jordan Ayew lurking which gave the Swansea forward the chance to carry the ball towards Will Norris' goal. As he approached goal, however, Roderick Miranda was on hand to make a last ditch challenge.


Minutes later the Swans took the lead. Again, Ayew picked up the ball on the edge of the Wolves box, he jinked past three Wolves defenders before firing past Will Norris - the first goal that the Wolves goalkeeper had conceded this season.


Wolves went forward for the first time in the 27th minute when Morgan Gibbs-White produced a superb through ball towards Bright Enobakhare. Frederico Fernandez, the Swans skipper, looked to have it covered to clear but Enobakhare snook in between him and Alfie Mawson and if not for a slightly heavy touch, he would have been round the goalkeeper with an empty net to shoot at. The Wolves forward managed to rescue his touch and won his side a corner.



Helder Costa then pierced the Swansea defensive line to pick out Alfred N'diaye. The imposing midfielder drove the ball at goal on for a last-ditch tackle to block his effort.


Five minutes before the break, Norris was on hand to make an important stop. After some neat build up play, Bony played in Connor Roberts. The Full back looked to slide the ball under the Wolves goalkeeper and if not for the alert Norris, it would have been a second Swans goal. 


Wolves grew into the game as the first half drew to a close. Doherty did well to pick out Enobakhare inside the box before his goal-ward effort was deflected wide.


Half-Time: Swansea 1 Wolves 0


Wolves began the second half much brighter with Morgan Gibbs-White at the centre of what Wolves did. The England Youth international showed great composure to find Helder Costa. He then played a swift one-two with Rafa Mir before firing a rasping shot over the bar.


It was when Diogo Jota and Leo Bonatini were introduced just after the hour mark, that Wolves seemed to come to life. First, Costa picked out Jota at the back post who headed into the path of Gibbs-White who saw his shot well blocked.


Wolves then found themselves back on level terms in the 66th minute. Roderick Miranda played a long ball over the top which Jota ran on to. The Portuguese forward chopped back to sit Fernandez down before shooting low to Kristoffer Nordfeldt's right - a shot which the Swansea 'keeper almost saved.


Despite Wolves controlling long periods of the second half, the Swans retook the lead just minutes later. Wolves failed to clear a cross from the left and Wilfried Bony was on hand to poke the ball past Norris.


Wolves continued to push: Diogo Jota's effort was parried by Nordfeldt, there was then a mix-up between Connor Roberts and the Swansea 'keeper by which the ball fell to the feet of the Leo Bonatini. The host's 'keeper made amends for his error as he got down well to save from the Brazilian striker. It wasn't to be for Wolves as they fell to their first defeat in 15 games.


Full-Time: Swansea 2 Wolves 1


Swansea: Nordfeldt, Naughton, Fernandez (C), Mesa (Sung-Yeung; 73), Roberts, Carroll, Fer, Ayew, Mawson, Bony (Clucas; 79), Narsingh (Dyer ;73).

Unused Subs: Mulder, Britton, Bartley, McBurnie.

Bookings: Fer; 47 - Foul. 

Wolves: Norris, Doherty, N’Diaye, Batth (C), Miranda, Costa (Saiss; 73), Gibbs-White, Enobakhare (Jota; 64), Douglas, Hause, Mir (Bonatini; 64).

Unused Subs: Burgoyne, Coady, Bennett, Neves.

Bookings: N'Diaye; 33 - Foul, Douglas - Foul; 72, Saiss - Dissent; 90.

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh

Attendance: 8,294 (1,883 away supporters).